Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Roly Poly




So, when I went back to school one of the things that was I was most upset about was to miss all of Lottie's “firsts”. Well, today I got to see one before I left. I LOVE that she decided to roll from her tummy to her back the first time when I was home. She was laying on her Baby Einstien play mat on her tummy. She was working on holding her little head up. She was doing so well. I looked at her and she was going strong but starting to fuss. I slipped into the closet to grab some socks and was out withn 15 second. I looked over, and there she was. She was on her back and had the most precious smirk on her face. She was thinking “take that tummy time, mommy”. I loved it. Though I did not see the actual action, I know I was there when it happened.

It is amazing what we consider a feat in different stages of our lives. When we are infants, we are commended for rolling over, burping and holding our heads up. As we grow older, the expectations increase. We are commended for earning new degrees or receiving awards for being the top in the state or country. I just love the innocence if being a child, and being a parent, reminds me of how important that innocence is.

Yesterday was Lottie's 4 month doctor's appointment. I had to miss it as I have exhausted all of my sick and personal days at work to have my maternity leave. Blake took her in. He said he was the only man anywhere near that office. I can imagine how adorable he was. He even put her into my favorite dress and topped her off with a pink bow. This man is amazing. Lottie had to get her next rounds of vaccines which is brutal for the parents. She was laying in Blake's lap just staring into his big green eye when “Whap, whap, whap” the three shots stuck into her thighs and then it was over. She screamed her head off and turned beet red. I think the hardest thing about this is the peace that is in their eyes right before they get stuck. But we got it over with for 2 more months and this is one of those times that I was happy to be at work.

I can't say that I am not jealous of the relationship between Blake and Lottie, but on the other hand, I feel like the most blessed person in the world for my daughter to have such a bond with her father. I think when I was home, it was easy for Blake to just watch Lottie grow up with outside eyes. My absence during the day allows both of us to create our own bonds with her. I am not stealing her attention away. They are so in love. Each day, Blake shows me a new trick that he has done with her and the sparkle in both of their eye's when they look at one another is truly priceless. I am so thankful to have the family I have. I don't know how I became so lucky to have such a supportive, capable, providing and honest husband. He is definitely the backbone of our family.

Lottie is 12lbs.
She is in
<25% for weight (but the doc says she is fine and not to worry or try to bulk her up),
50% for height
a whopping 65% for her head.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you got to be there for her first roll over- yay Lottie! It sounds like Blake is enjoying his new role too- I'll bet he is doing great.
    Love ya'll,
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete